Smocking is an embroidery technique used to gather fabric so that it’s fitted and stretchy. Historically, it was popular in the eighteenth and nineteenth century as a method to replace buttons on necklines, bodices, and cuffs. These days it’s used all over fashion as a common material that hugs your body.
What I love about smocked clothing is that it’s a flattering way to wear fitted clothes since it curves to the shape of your body. One con though is that it literally hugs and accentuates your curves so if you have a food baby, well your stomach will show. I tend to be thoughtful when wearing smocked clothing since I know it’ll be tight. I love this trend though especially for spring/summer and have been buying so many smocked pieces. Below are a few of my favorites!
Trendy smocked 2-pieces & dresses:
- Aqua floral smocked top (on sale for $35) and mini skirt (on sale for $41)
- LeRumi lyra smocked top and lyra high-waisted shorts ($88 each)
- Marjorelle Sawyer top ($92) and heidi skirt ($171)
- Tularosa gloria dress in malibu floral print ($177)
- Lovers + Friends Helene dress in black polka dots ($175)
- Privacy Please jessie top ($78) and milan skirt ($68)